POST-OP AND LUPRON

 Wednesday, May 19

Surgery Day 6:00 AM

Ben and I left the house heading to Birmingham. We were supposed to be there by 8:30 AM for check-in and pre-op procedures. We got there a half hour early and got called back shortly after. The nurse got me settled and as comfortable as one can be in those awful gowns and socks. After about an hour in holding, the nurses came back to start my IV and discuss my medical history. 

If you want to see the bruise from said IV, be warned. It's pretty wicked. 

Finally, around 11:30 AM, they came to roll me to the OR, and of course, I don't remember much after that until I woke up in recovery. When I got back to the room, Ben was waiting to tell me what Dr. Bouknight had told him. The polyps were smaller and there were fewer than before. She remains optimistic for our retrieval cycle and will continue to monitor for a potential transfer, whether fresh or frozen. 

Thursday, May 20

Post-Op Day 1

The day after my surgery I was back at work. I know what you're thinking, you should have been at home resting. Well, you're probably right, but it was Awards Day in third grade and the last day I would get to see some of my students. I felt fine for most of the day. 

Friday, May 21

Post-Op Day 2 and Lupron Day 1

I woke up with an insanely sore throat, a massive headache, and nausea that lasted all day. I had to go in to work because subs are sparse, especially at the end of the year. My mantra for the day was "It's May; teach yourselves." I called Ben around midday and told him what was going on. He promised me a night at home resting on the couch, and I couldn't wait!

Also, Friday was my first day of Lupron shots. I will have to give myself a 10 unit shot of Lupron daily for two weeks. Then the dosage will decrease to 5 units and continue until retrieval. The needles are thin, so it doesn't hurt, but it is mentally and emotionally exhausting. We will have to either be home by 9:45 PM every night, or take a shot with us to administer on the go. 

Saturday, May 22

Lupron Day 2

Saturday was another restful day for us. We were able to sit in our rocking chairs on the front porch together. Even small gifts of grace like this demonstrate God's love for us. We were able to spend the evening with some dear friends, Tripp and Cameron, who have walked the same path and were blessed with a beautiful little boy, Jackson. We are immensely thankful and encouraged by those who have reached out and offered prayers, support, and love during this time. There is a different comfort in talking with those who have a real, tangible understanding of exactly what you are going through. Cameron even put together a box with some encouraging gifts because she knows firsthand the endurance it takes to complete this journey. 

Sunday, May 23

Ben preached a message from Philippians 4:10-20 this morning. Within this set of verses is Philippians 4:13 which says, "I can do all things through him who strengthens me." This may be the most misrepresented verse in all of Scripture. It doesn't mean that God will help you hit a home run or score the winning touchdown. It doesn't mean that you will get that promotion at work or even be blessed with a child through your efforts. It doesn't mean that Christians are empowered to accomplish any task simply because they are saved. Paul is encouraging the Philippians to press on. You will endure hardships and persecution, but you can through Christ. He will give you the strength to face any circumstance. 

We are content in our circumstances, and we trust that the Lord will strengthen us in the days to come.

Popular posts from this blog

FET and PIO

FINAL EMBRYO COUNT

FIRST BLOG POST