FINAL EMBRYO COUNT

Hello everyone. Ben here. We wanted to give you an update about our IVF journey. 

Let's back up a bit...


After Monday's retrieval, our doctor called Shelby on Tuesday to tell us that 13 of the 20 eggs fertilized. We were overjoyed! I was in Nashville for the Southern Baptist Convention. Shelby's voice was so full of hope when she called me! 


We waited all week on our next update. Yesterday our doctor called during the rain/power outage. In the weirdest turn of events yet, I was taking a shower in the rain because our water ran out. That's living on a well for you. Shelby's face said it all- what a strange way to hear this news! Our doctor told us that 6 of the 13 did not make it. Of the 7 remaining, one looked great and the other 6 were still developing. She promised us that she'd call back today with more information. She called about an hour ago as I write this. 


We have two embryos in the freezer. One is graded "fair" and one is graded "poor." Folks, the psychology of all this is difficult. Without question, we are thankful for the opportunity we have ahead of us. But after such a promising start, we cannot help feeling deep discouragement. Our doctor referred to "male factor" infertility. This means that there are underlying complications on my part that seem to be hindering conception. 


Our doctor intends to attempt a transfer of one of these embryos during Shelby's next cycle. Thankfully this means our wait will not be too long. We intend to do everything we can to give these embryos the best chance of success. If I can be transparent, I am already fighting feelings of anger and cynicism. Shelby's been through so much. I desperately want this to result in a successful pregnancy. 

We have no choice but to trust God's work in our lives. That leaves little room for complaining or despairing. He is good, gracious, and kind. His purposes in our lives are meant to display his great glory and they work together to accomplish our good in Christ. Will you pray for us? Pray that we will swim in the depths of God's mercy. Pray that we will resist bitterness. Pray that, God willing, we will see one or both of these embryos result in a healthy pregnancy. 


On this Father's Day, as I continue in the waiting for the day I'll be called daddy, I desire to honor my heavenly Father in how I face the days ahead. May these days make me look more and more like Jesus Christ my Lord. 

Popular posts from this blog

FET and PIO

FIRST BLOG POST