FET and PIO

 Our last update was not the one we wanted to give. 

There have been many encouraging developments since then, and we wanted to update you all so you can help us pray. 

The IVF nurse, Dawn, called a few days after the embryo update to tell us we could do a frozen embryo transfer (FET) at the end of July. She called later to tell us we would be able to transfer a week before we had been told.

We will be transferring one of our embryos around 1:20 PM on July 19th.

The hope is that this little embryo will begin to implant into the uterine lining and grow into a successful pregnancy. Many couples who undergo fertility treatments like IVF or IUI choose to adopt a purposefully positive state of mind until the first pregnancy test, so I will be pregnant until proven otherwise (PUPO). After nine days of trying to distract myself, I will go in for a blood test to check for the pregnancy hormone hCG. Higher than normal levels of hCG will confirm that the FET was successful and that I am pregnant.

Wednesday, July 14

Today was the first day of my progesterone in oil (PIO) shots. 

These are the shots I've dreaded most of all. You see, these are the butt shots. Intramuscular is the technical term, I suppose. These shots are given with a long, thick needle that injects an even thicker medicine (in oil) into the hip muscle. YIKES. I have watched videos, read blogs, and asked people who've taken these shots to get an idea about what to expect and how to make this unfortunate task any easier.

Ice 10-15 minutes before

Relax your muscles

Quick to prick and slow to inject

Massage and heat after

I will do these shots every day for up to 12 weeks if the FET is successful. YIKES. Worth it.

I woke up thinking about the shot. Because our transfer is at 1:20 PM, our doctor said to do the shot between 12 and 2 PM. We had VBS this morning until 12, and that was a great distraction. Once it was over, my mind went back to the shot. I was overwhelmed with anxiety, and I couldn't stop the tears from coming. Ben told me to go home and try to relax. 

When I got home, I put an ice pack in my running belt (which has seen very little running) to begin the numbing process. I decided to go ahead and get the shot ready. I lit my Stay Positive candle from my friend Cameron and got my Disney playlist ready. "Try Everything" from the movie Zootopia always makes me feel happy, so I wanted that to play when it was time for the shot. Ben did a great job giving the shot. I didn't even feel it!


I bought some cute bandaids in preparation for these shots. The crayon bandaid I used was Robin Egg Blue. 

We ended the night with VBS Family Night at church. The kids showed their parents what they've learned this week, and we all ate some delicious homemade ice cream. 

Ben and I have endured a lot over the last few months. We firmly believe God has been preparing us all along for this moment. I know He will provide exactly what we need. I don't think it was an accident that VBS came the week before our transfer. The Bible point for the week has been to trust God. He knows what we need even before we ask. He is faithful.

Popular posts from this blog

FINAL EMBRYO COUNT

FIRST BLOG POST